Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mini Egg Frittatas and Red Velvet Cookies

Well, this is my first post to start this year, and since I didn't get to try a new recipe last week, I already made two for this week!

Last night, we had breakfast for dinner and I made mini egg frittatas with potatoes o'brien. They were super easy and the serving size was perfect for just me and D.J. The fun thing with these is that you can add anything you want to them and be able to switch it up. They may not look super appealing in the pictures, but they were super yummy!

Mini Egg Frittatas

Makes 6 mini frittatas
Ingredients
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup half-and-half
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Assorted mix-ins like shredded cheese, diced vegetables, and cooked and chopped bacon, ham, or sausage (I used shredded cheddar cheese, diced onion, chopped bacon)
  • Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Instructions
  1. Heat your oven to 350º F and coat a 6-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, and salt in a medium bowl, then evenly distribute the egg mixture among the muffin cups.
  3. Add about 2 tablespoons of mix-ins to each cup, then sprinkle on a bit of Parmesan cheese, if you like.
  4. Bake the frittatas until they are puffy and the edges are golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes. If necessary, run a butter knife around the edge of each one to loosen them before removing them from the pan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------



D.J. and I have a family get together to go to on Sunday and I've been trying to figure out what dessert to make for it. D.J.'s aunt had recently told me about this super yummy recipe for cookies that were made with cake mix, and I've been wanting to experiment with it by using different kinds of cake mixes. The original cookies were absolutely delicious and were made with regular yellow cake mix. Here is the original recipe:

"Melt in Your Mouth" Toffee Pecan Cookies

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 box yellow cake mix
2 large eggs
1 tbsp water
1 8 oz. bag Heath toffee bits
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped

Directions:
 
  • 1. Preheat oven to 350*F.

  • 2. Mix butter, add cake mix, eggs & water. Mix well.

  • 3. Add toffee bits and pecans, mix by hand.

  • 4. Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes

  • 5. Transfer to cooling rack.



  • Now, last night I decided to follow the same recipe, except I used red velvet cake mix and substituted the toffee bits and pecans with white chocolate chips. They turned out really yummy so I'm thinking about making them again for our Sunday get together...


    Red Velvet Cake Cookies

    Ingredients:

    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 box red velvet cake mix
    2 large eggs
    1 tbsp water
    1 bag white chocolate chips (I used a 12 oz. bag)

    Directions:

  • 1. Preheat oven to 350*F.

  • 2. Mix butter, add cake mix, eggs & water. Mix well.

  • 3. Add white chocolate chips, mix by hand.

  • 4. Spoon onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes

  • 5. Transfer to cooling rack.


  • I may cook them an extra minute or two next time though because they were still a little soft in the middle... but they were still delicious!

    So far, I'm off to a good start to my year of baking!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment